Monday, August 17, 2009

Miners Falls

Miners Falls
July 28, 2009-Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Tech Info:
Shutter Speed: 1/2 sec.
Aperature: f/16
ISO: 100

Equipment Used:
Camera: Nikon D200
Lens: 24mm f/2.8
A polarizing filter and tripod were used

Keys to the Image:
The key to most waterfall images is to include some form of foreground. Without foreground the image usually lacks depth. Another key to waterfall images is to use slow shutter speeds. Because of the 1/2 second exposure the water still contains some detail. In many instances I use slower shutter speeds which sometimes last as long as 15 seconds. Using a polarizing filter is extremely important when taking waterfall shots. I will post an example of when a polarizer is used and when it is not in the next couple days.
Let me know what you like/dislike about this image.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips on shooting this. I need to get another lens. Are you using a circular polarizing filter? I've been trying to learn about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do use a circular polarizing filter. If you use a digital camera the circular works best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get another lens. Are you using a circular polarizing filter?
    Domain registration india

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Nishant-I use a circular polarizing filter. They work better with digital cameras than the linear polarizers.

    ReplyDelete